Are you considering adopting a child in New York state? If so, you need to be sure that you are doing it the right way. Adoption is a complex legal process; the last thing you want to do is to make a mistake that could cause a delay or even the rejection of your adoption application. The best way to protect yourself and to ensure that the process goes as efficiently and smoothly as possible is to work with an experienced Syracuse adoption lawyer. Your lawyer will be able to hear your case, understand your concerns, assess your situation and determine exactly what you need to complete the adoption process.
Different Types of Adoption in New York
Adoption comes in many different forms. Indeed, there are a wide array of different circumstances that can lead parents to make the decision to adopt a child. Some adoptions involve relatives, some involve children with whom the family has a pre-existing relationship and some involve children that are not even born yet. At the Bombardo Law Office, P.C., our family law team assists parents in Central New York with many different types of adoptions, including
- Agency adoptions: These adoption cases generally involve children who were placed into the care of New York state agencies or other charity organizations. The children may then end up in foster care, after being surrendered by their biological parents.
- Open adoptions: An open adoption is one in which the prospective adoptive parents have direct contact (or contact through a third-party organization) with a child’s biological parent, prior to the actual birth. These cases can be complicated, and it is important for adoptive parents to know that they will have rights to the child.
- Relative adoptions: Depending on the circumstances, there are times in which a grandparent, stepparent, uncle, aunt, sibling or another relative may be in a position to take legal guardianship over a child. Sometimes this occurs over the objections of a biological parent.
- Second-parent adoptions: Through this type of adoption, a second parent (unmarried) can get legal guardianship over the current child of their life partner.
Dealing With Some of the Most Common Obstacles to Adoption
Unfortunately, for prospective adoptive parents, the legal process of adoption can sometimes be slow, confusing, stressful and generally frustrating. There are many different challenges that could potentially arise. Our Syracuse family law team works diligently to ensure that prospective parents can overcome any challenges that could prevent or delay legal adoption. Some of the most common obstacles include:
- Background checks: Under New York law, a background check is required as part of the adoption process. In certain circumstances, adverse information, such as some felony convictions, could make adoption impossible. If you believe that a background check will be an issue in your case, you should reach out to a qualified adoption lawyer as soon as possible.
- Homestudy: The New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) requires prospective adoptive parents to undergo a home study as part of the application process. Essentially, the home study is a set of interviews and training sessions that help prepare the prospective parents for adoption and to ensure their parental fitness. Typically, within a few months of submitting an application to adopt, a home study will need to be completed by the appropriate state agencies. Should it be necessary, our legal team can help you prepare for this important part of the process.
- Parental objection and disputes: Finally, in some cases, litigation will be required over whether or not the child’s biological parent or their adoptive parent will have legal guardianship of a child. This can happen for many different reasons and it can be very stressful for the parties involved. It may be an issue in a case where a relative is trying to adopt a child from a parent they view as unfit, or a legal issue may arise because a child’s biological parent unexpectedly re-emerges into the picture, as sometimes happens with putative fathers. Regardless of the specific circumstances of your case, our attorney is standing by, ready to fight for your rights.
Contact Our Syracuse Family Law Attorney Today
At the Bombardo Law Office, P.C., we are a full-service family law firm that is dedicated to serving the best interests of our clients. If you have questions about adoption in New York state, please do not hesitate in contact our team today at (315) 488 5544 to schedule your free legal consultation. From our office in Syracuse, we represent families throughout the Central New York, including in Cayuga County, Madison County, and Oswego County.